The WJP began holding international, action-oriented outreach meetings to mainstream the rule of law into the work of a variety of disciplines in early 2007. These regional multidisciplinary meetings are a key component of The World Justice Project's collaborative efforts to advance the rule of law worldwide.
These meetings bring together leaders from across the region, representing such fields as the arts, business, education, engineering, environment, faith, human rights, labor, law, the judiciary, media, military, public health, public safety, and law enforcement. Participants share the impact that rule of law weaknesses have on their disciplines and identify critical areas where cross-disciplinary efforts could help strengthen the rule of law.
The World Justice Project has held nine regional meetings since 2007. These meetings were held in North America, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia Pacific:
- Washington, DC, USA (North America) - February 28, 2007, a kickoff Mainstreaming meeting was held in the United States with 83 leaders representing 8 professional disciplines.
- Prague, Czech Republic (Europe) - July 13, 2007, this meeting brought together 36 leaders from 22 countries and 11 professional disciplines to discuss strategies for strengthening the rule of law.
- Singapore (Asia Pacific) - September 19-20, 2007, over 50 leaders from 16 countries and 11 disciplines came together on in this multidisciplinary rule of law meeting.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina (Latin America and the Caribbean) - November 20, 2007, an array of 47 leaders from 11 countries and 12 professional disciplines convened to discuss rule of law issues in the region.
- Accra, Ghana (Africa) - January 9-10, 2008, a breadth of 61 leaders from 21 African countries and 10 disciplines convened in this multidisciplinary rule of law outreach regional meeting.
- Cape Town, South Africa (Africa) - May 6-7, 2009, the WJP held a second multidisciplinary regional outreach meeting for Sub-Saharan Africa. The event was attended by over 80 leaders from 22 Sub-Saharan countries representing 17 disciplines.
- Ifrane, Morocco (Middle East and North Africa) - June 25-26, 2010, this WJP event convened 161 leaders from 17 MENA countries and territories.
- Lima, Peru (Latin America and the Caribbean) - September 8-10, 2010, the WJP held a second regional meeting in Latin America and the Caribbean, which brought together 110 leaders representing 25 countries from around the region.
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Asia Pacific) - January 26-28, 2011, the WJP’s second regional meeting in the Asia Pacific region was the WJP’s latest regional multidisciplinary Mainstreaming event and brought together over 140 regional leaders from 35 Asia Pacific countries.