Last updated: March 4, 2021
2. PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 13
2.1 Minimum Age
2.2 Note to Parents and Guardians
Because it is difficult for us to verify a person’s age online, it is entirely YOUR responsibility to supervise your child’s online activities at all times. Parental control tools like filtering software and hardware are commercially available to help you limit a child’s access to potentially harmful material on the Internet. If you discover that your child or minor has obtained an account on the Service without your approval, please contact us immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can promptly obtain parental consent or remove the child’s personal information from the Service.
3. TYPE OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT, PURPOSE AND LEGAL BASIS
3.1 What Personal Information Do We Collect?
The categories of personal information and sources that we may collect are as follows:
- Personal and contact details: We may collect identity data that you may provide to us, including your full name, email address, organization name, job title, telephone number, country, pictures, videos and audio recordings.
- Payment details: We may collect credit card numbers, cardholder names, card security details, card expiry dates, and billing addresses that you provide to us or our third party payment processors.
- Opinions, views and interests: We may collect comments, ratings, or reviews that you choose to send to us, post via a survey, or publicly post via social media platforms.
- Information collected from Third Parties: We may collect information from public sources, such as your public social media information; we may collect information about you directly from our vendors or our third party processors who collect information on our behalf.
- Job Applicants: If you apply for a job with us, we may collect your name, contact details and other relevant information we request you provide to us, such as your demographics, past employment information, education and state ID.
- Any other information you actively choose to share via our Website, for example through the Community Forum. Please note that any information and content you share through the Community Forum will be publicly available to everyone who visits our website.
3.2 Purpose and Legal Basis
In processing your personal information in connection with the purposes set out in this policy, we rely on one or more of the following legal bases, depending on the circumstances:
- when processing is necessary for the performance of our contract with you or your designee.
- we have obtained your prior express consent to the processing (this legal basis is only used in relation to processing that is entirely voluntary - it is not used for processing that is necessary or obligatory in any way);
- in order to comply with applicable law and when necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests;
- if we have a legitimate interest in carrying out the processing for the purpose of managing, operating or promoting our organization, and that legitimate interest is not overridden by your interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms; or,
- the processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of any individual.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may use, or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- Our website: operating and managing our website; providing content to you; and communicating and interacting with you via our website to support our cause.
- Provision of other services to you: providing our website and other services to you, including contacting you to provide information about our cause other purposes for which you provided us the information; improving and personalizing our content, offerings services; providing you with support and respond to your inquires; inviting and registering people to rule of law-related events and conferences; administering various surveys; inviting organizations to join our network of rule of law practitioners; administering various rule of law-related competitions and grant proposals; and distributing press releases and notices; administering and informing users about our research and program strategies and charitable activities.
- Marketing and research communications: communicating with you via any means (including via email, telephone, text message, social media, mail) news items and other information in which you may be interested, subject to ensuring that such communications are provided to you in compliance with applicable law, including, without limitation, sending out newsletters; updates and announcements; publications; information about events, contests (including the World Justice Challenge and the Lewis Journalism Prize) and competitions, and soliciting experts to join our rule of law surveys.
- Communications and IT operations: communicating with you; managing our communications systems; operating of IT security; and IT security audits.
- Communications in relation to our provision of services to you: reviewing and responding to proposal documents, feedback, comments, photos, videos, or other information you submit via online portals, electronic forms, surveys, or interactive portions of our sites (such as the Community Forum).
- Health, safety and legal compliance: to maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our website, cause, projects, databases and other technology assets; compliance with legal obligations.
- Analytics: to analyze and assess current and potential areas of interest; to create aggregated, de-identified and/or anonymized data.
- Financial management: for sales, finance, corporate audit, and vendor management.
- Surveys: engaging with you for the purposes of obtaining your views on our website, our cause, projects, and other related matters.
5. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To our trusted contractors and service providers we use to support our causes (such as IT service providers; payment processors; marketing service providers; web service providers; etc.), located anywhere in the world, including Civilized Discourse Construction Kit, Inc. to host our Community Forum, subject to the requirements noted below in this Section 5;
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including investigation of potential violations and to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of WJP, our customers, or others.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
If we engage third-party processors to process your personal information on our behalf, such third-party processors will be subject to binding contractual obligations to (i) only process the personal information in accordance with our prior written instructions; and (ii) use measures to protect the confidentiality and security of personal information; together with any additional requirements under applicable law.
6. HOW LONG WILL WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
7. YOUR RIGHTS
You may exercise your rights by writing us an e-mail to email@example.com simply informing us of the reason for your request and the right that you wish to exercise. We may request you to provide a copy of a document evidencing your identity if we deem necessary to be able to identify you. Subject to applicable law, you may have a number of rights regarding the processing of your personal information, including:
- the right to request access to, or copies of, your personal information that we process or control;
- the right to request rectification of any inaccuracies in your personal information that we process or control;
- the right to request, on legitimate grounds:
- erasure of your personal information that we process or control; or
- restriction of processing of your personal information that we process or control;
- the right to object, on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your personal information by us or on our behalf;
- the right to have your personal information that we process or control transferred to another controller, to the extent applicable;
- where we process your personal information on the basis of your consent, the right to withdraw that consent; and
- the right to lodge complaints with a Data Protection Authority regarding the processing of your personal information by us or on our behalf.
8. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
We use Google Analytics (for further information see here) to get a better understanding of our website’s usage.
10. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Because of the international nature of our organization, we may need to transfer your personal information to third parties as noted above (subject to binding contractual obligations, also considered “standard contractual clauses” where required by applicable law), solely in connection with the purposes set out in this policy. For this reason, we may transfer your personal information to other countries that may have different laws and data protection compliance requirements to those that apply in the country in which you are located.
12. CONTACT INFORMATION
For privacy-related requests or complaints, you can contact us at the following address:
World Justice Project
1025 Vermont Ave, NW #1200
Washington, D.C. 20005
Phone: +1 202 407 9330